Peony - Knowledgebase Question

Ephrata, WA
Question by pmcafee
I planted a small container grown peony in June, '98. Since then it's grown less than an inch and hasn't bloomed or formed buds. What am I doing wrong?

0

Peonies can sometimes take a while to become established in their new locations. Peonies prefer a sunny site (afternoon shade if the summer sun is really hot), and thrive in rich, well-draining soil. They are very particular about the depth of planting. Place the tuber no deeper than two inches below the surface of the soil. Planted deeper, the plant may not bloom. Peonies seem to resent being disturbed once planted, and dividing and replanting should be done in the fall. Since yours in newly planted, it may just be taking some time to become established in its new location. Give it water this summer and wait for next year's growth. Your patience should be rewarded with beautiful blooms!