leyland cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Reno, Ne
Question by mactimko
I live in Reno, NV and I planted 3 3' leyland cypress' last last fall. We had 2.5' of snow in December. Now the trees are brown. Have they died, or will they flourish if I trim the brown?

Leyland cypress shouldn't be bothered by a little snow so as long as the roots are healthy and the soil is draining well, your plants should recover. Leyland Cypress is fast-growing (3-4 feet a year) and can be sheared to promote a bushy growth habit. It is an excellent choice for quick screens, hedges and groupings. Since you've only recently planted them, wait until new growth begins in the spring to begin trimming them. Pruning encourages additional growth and shearing just a few inches from the tips of the branches should force growth inside the plant near the trunk as well as at the site of pruning. Good luck with your plants!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"