repel wasps - Knowledgebase Question

Kingman, Ar
Question by babieblue14
I'd like to know if there are any plants that will repel wasps, black hornets,etc. I don't mind the honey bees but the wasps creep me out and keep me distant from my suffering garden.

0

It's true that bees, wasps, and hornets can seem like nuisances in the garden but they are such beneficial insects, that it's difficult to recommend a control. They all pollinate flowers. Wasps and hornets are excellent pest predators, diving into foliage to carry off flies, caterpillars and other larvae to feed their young. Bees are usually just temporary visitors to the garden, arriving in the morning to collect nectar and pollen and leaving by late afternoon. Wasps and hornets can live underground or build paper nests. Thoroughly inspect the trees and bushes (and under the eaves) to see if there are any nests. If so, remove and destroy them and the insects will take up residence elsewhere. Ground nesting wasps and bald faced hornets can build nests in areas of the garden that are typically dry. Look for entrance holes and if you find them, either run the sprinkler on a regular basis to deter them, or if they have an established nest you can cover over the hole in the ground with a glass jar or glass bowl. The wasps or hornets will be trapped and the colony will eventually die out. When you see no more activity, you can remove the jar or bowl and cover over the entrance hole.

There are also traps available in the garden centers. If you decide to use traps, place them well away from doors and windows to lure the insects into another part of the garden.

Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"