Soil Test for Lasagna Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Langhorne, Pe
Question by mrsbernwhela
I read that too much mulch could upset the PH in soil so I'm wondering how I would test a Lasagna garden that I've been creating that has no soil just lots of organics, ie; grass, mulch, peat moss, leaves, etc. How would I do a test to see what the PH would be without actually having soil and do I even need to worry about it?

I don't think you even need to worry about it. Since there's really no soil, a soil test won't provide any useful results. Lasagna gardens are full of nutrients for plant roots, they drain quickly yet hold just the right amount of moisture, and they are rarely problematic in terms of soil pH. Think of it as planting in potting soil rather than garden soil. Potting soil contains decomposing organic matter and is usually about neutral on the pH scale. I suspect your lasagna garden would register the same pH. You can purchase a soil testing kit, but I don't think it's necessary, especially if your garden is productive. Just enjoy and don't worry about the pH.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"