florida cypress - Knowledgebase Question

Wilton Manors, Fl
Question by bucaty
I have been told I have a Florida Cypress tree. It's very thin, with branches that are spaced very far apart. The leaves are feathery, but now they have all fallen off. Is it a cypress, and how do I maintain it?

It sounds like a Florida Cypress. Two varieties of cypress, baldcypress (Taxodium distichum and pondcypress (Taxodium distichum var. nutans, are commonly called Florida cypress. Both varieties are deciduous conifers, which means they shed their leaves and cones in the fall, and both are known for their tolerance of flooding, their root outgrowths--called knees--and their buttressed trunks. Whichever you have, your cypress won't need any special care. It is considered a native plant and therefore gets the nutrients and for the most part all the water it needs from natural rainfall. It should green up for you this spring. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"