Little Gem Magnolia Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Question by maestras
I planted 6 trees about 2 years ago. They look like many branches have lost their leaves. What do they need to bush out?Leaves are green and it flowers. They are about 8' high.Can I move them?

You can dig and transplant your magnolia trees and spring is the proper time. Expect the roots to extend out past the longest branches so start digging there and move downward and inwards until you've loosened the entire root mass. Dig a new hole just as deep and wide as the root mass, set the tree in the hole and backfill with native soil. Be sure to water each one in as you move it to help settle the soil. If your trees are not getting adequate sunshine or water, they can drop their oldest leaves. You can try pruning the branches back in late winter so the new growth of the spring is forced on the inside branches as well as the new growth. Good luck with your magnolia.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"