plum tree - Knowledgebase Question

hartford, Al
Question by egnew
Every spring my plum tree is attacked by flies that lay eggs in the blossoms that become small worms in the fruit. HELP!!!!!

I wish there were an easy answer, but keeping flies from laying eggs on the developing fruit is really difficult. You can start by destroying all the affected fruit. If you allow it to remain on the tree, the larvae will pupate in the soil and you'll have a whole new population to deal with the following year. Try removing affected fruit and disposing of it, raking the soil beneath the tree to expose the pupa to natural predators and the weather, and setting traps in the tree to attract the flies and keep them away from the ripening fruit. You might also check with your local cooperative extension office for suggestions. Here's the contact information:
Geneva County Extension, 2765 East State Hwy. 52, Hartford, AL 36344, Phone: (334) 684-2484. Best wishes with your plum tree!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"