Mosquitoes - Knowledgebase Question

Question by taseeta1
I just purchased my first home and I found that I have quite a bit of mosqitoes. I wanted to know how I could get rid of them because I plan to have a lawn party in the spring/summer. A big tree is shading my yard for the neighbor's yard.Thanks!

Summertime is mosquito time, but you can reduce your chances of getting bitten by mosquito pests by making sure that your backyard is not a mosquito breeding zone. Female mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water, so emptying pools of standing water is the best way to prevent future populations from hatching. Make sure to empty birdbaths and swimming pools at least once a week. Get rid of old tires, unused buckets and trash cans that can hold rainwater. Clean clogged roof gutters. Place a Mosquito Dunk in birdbaths, ponds and anywhere water collects. The active ingredient in Mosquito Dunks is a naturally occurring bacterium that kills mosquito larvae but isn?t harmful to other living things. There are treatments you can apply to your yard, (such as Ortho?Mosquito-B-Gon) but I hesitate to recommend them because they are short-term solutions to a long term problem. Start by changing the environment by removing breeding places and you may not have to resort to mosquito sprays. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"