no fruit on my avocado - Knowledgebase Question

Jamul, Ca
Question by wkshea5050
I bought a self fertilizing avocado 4 years ago. the first year I had fruit and none since. It is the only avo in my yard. Should I be concerned with A and B types?

Most avocado trees are considered self-fruitful, to a degree. Flowers are perfect, but are either receptive to pollen in the morning and shed pollen the following afternoon (type A), or are receptive to pollen in the afternoon, and shed pollen the following morning (type B). About 5% of the flowers are defective in form and are sterile. Therefore, production is best with cross-pollination between types A and B. Since your tree developed fruit the first year, I suspect it was in a nursery with companionship of other avocado trees and cross pollination occurred. The only other explanation for non-bearing is that the variety is wrong for your climate. If late frost nips the flowers, they will drop and you won't have any fruit. Check to make sure yours develops flowers. If not, it's the wrong variety and is not receiving the amount of winter chill necessary - or is getting too much winter chill. If you need specifics, try to determine exactly which avocado you are growing and submit another question to this forum. We'll do some research and provide some growing guidelines. Best wishes with your tree.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"