When to plant my amaryllis bulb - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I just purchased a white amaryllis bulb from Home Depot and I want to plant it outdoors. When should I plant it and is it best to plant in a pot or in the ground? Thank you.

0

You can plant amaryllis outside in March or April. I always plant the ones I get during the holidays outside the next spring. Amaryllis will bloom year after year if given the proper care. They grow best in sun, but appreciate some protection from hot afternoon sun. Plant about 8 inches deep, or twice the size of the bulb. Mix a little bone meal into the bottom of the planting hole to promote bloom. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy during the growth period. Cut the bloom stem off after flowering, but allow the foliage to die back naturally as it is storing nutrients to the bulb. Expect the bulb to rest for a period of at 8-10 weeks before new foliage and flowers appear. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"