When should I start growing fruits and veggies? - Knowledgebase Question

Vancouver, Wa
Question by elizabet253
I live in Vancouver WA. When should I start growing my plants, and when should I plant them outside?

Vegetables can be divided into two general groups - cool season vegetables and warm season vegetables. Cool season vegetables are frost-hardy, thrive in cool weather, and do well in early spring. Some may be replanted in late summer and fall to take advantage of the cool fall weather and many can have their harvest extended into winter months by using season lengthening techniques (cold frames, row covers, etc.).

Warm season vegetables, such as tomatoes and peppers, are frost tender and require a warm growing season. These vegetables should not be planted outside until all danger of frost is past. They may also require ground warming techniques (black or infra-red ground covers, wall-o-water, etc.) for them to thrive.

You can start your cool season vegetable seeds now and plant them out in late March or early April. Start your warm veggie seeds indoors in early April and set them outdoors in late May. As a general rule of thumb, start your seeds indoors about 6 weeks before you plan to set them outside. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"