organic - Knowledgebase Question

Palm Springs, Ca
Question by joeysdew
how do I turn my soil to organic? I understand I won't have problems w/ any types of critters.

0

Growing organically simply means not using processed chemicals in your yard. If you use only naturally derived materials in your garden, you'll be organic. However, being an organic gardener also means you'll have to contend with critters. Some are considered beneficial because they prey on destructive insects. An organic garden will have a natural balance of both good guys and bad guys from the insect world. Start by amending your soil with organic matter (compost is my choice) to help loosen the soil and introduce helpful organisms into the soil. Feed with compost tea to help strengthen your plants and be sure to visit your garden on a daily basis to look for and head off any insect or disease problems. If you see insect pests, pick them off with your fingers or hose them off your plants with a strong stream of water. Keep weeds pulled so they don't harbor insect pests and be sure to provide plenty of space between your plants. Lots of sunshine and ample air circulation will ward off most diseases. Healthy, thriving plants are not as attractive to insect and disease problems as plants under stress so make sure your plants are getting adequate water, sunshine and air circulation to make them as healthy as possible. I applaud your effort to become an organic gardener!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"