Growing Lettuce - Knowledgebase Question

South Haven, Mi
Question by kndibble
I live in zone 5 (southwestern Michigan, lower pennisula) and I would like to try sowing lettuce and spinach seeds indoors, in an unheated garage. I plan to keep the lettuce and spinach planted in the containers that I sow the seeds in... At what temperatures can I start doing this with success? Can it be freezing temperatures overnight in my garage? Thanks for your help!

0

Both lettuces and spinach will grow outdoors in the cool spring temperatures but the seeds need to be grown at a minimum of 55 degrees. You'll have better results if you start the seeds indoors rather than in the garage. Start them about 6 weeks before you set them out and plan to set them outdoors about the second week of May. Best wishes with your venture.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"