My geranium - Knowledgebase Question

Merkel, Te
Question by katesmith19
I am growing a pink geranium indoors. A few of the branches are at least two feet long. Do I need to trim them & if so how much?

You can cut the branches back so they are more in relation to the sizes of the other branches. Just cut them slightly above a node (old leaf scar) and new growth will emerge from the latent buds. After removing those overly long branches you can use them to start new plants. Cut or snap the branch into 2-3" pieces. Each piece should have a leaf node (I cut mine so that the leaf node is in the center of the cutting). Allow the ends to dry for a few hours so they callous over. Then set each cutting long-ways on a tray or in a pot of moistened sand or moistened potting soil, covering the cutting about half-way and completely covering each of the ends. The leaf scar should be facing upward and be exposed to the light and the air. Set the tray or pots in a bright location and keep the sand or potting soil moist but not soggy wet. You should see new growth emerging from the leaf nodes on each of the cuttings in about 30 days. Allow the cuttings to grow another 30 days to develop healthy root systems. You can then repot each one into its own container. Enjoy your geraniums!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"