pruning - Knowledgebase Question

montgomery, Te
Question by rfaught
when and how much can I trim my hollies,indian hawhthorn and mexican heather?
Also have a lot of dollar weed in flower beds,what to do?

The general rule of thumb when it comes to pruning is that you can remove up to one third of the live material on a plant without overly stressing it. Spring is the best time to prune. If your plants need to be reduced in size by more than one third, plan on doing it gradually, over a period of two to three years. Dollar weed, or pennywort grows most abundantly in moist soils that are poor in nutrients. If you improve the overall conditions in your garden beds, you can control the growth of dollar weed. Start by hand digging the weeds, roots and all. When you've gotten it all out, dig in some compost or other organic matter to help enrich the soil, loosen it and encourage better drainage. An additional 2-3 inches of organic matter over the bare soil between the plants will suppress weeds and help supply additional nutrients. Like any perennial weed, you'll need to keep pulling it up, roots and all as it reappears. Eventually you'll gain control. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"