pottinng new indoor plants - Knowledgebase Question

Palm Springs, Ca
Question by joeysdew
I have been putting a layer of rocks in the bottom of each pot when I replant. I think it keeps the roots from sitting in too much water. Am I right or should it be all potting soil?

0

I don't see anything wrong with your practice as long as the pots you use have drainage holes in the bottom so excess moisture can seep out. A layer of rocks is not required, but it makes the pot a little heavier which can keep it upright if it's accidentally bumped. The roots of plants generally grow throughout the potting soil rather than directly down where they might sit in water until the soil drains thoroughly. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"