appropriate vine/espallier - Knowledgebase Question

Holmes Beach, Fl
Question by bap9876
I have a north-facing stucco wall that needs something hugging its vertical expanse. It is adjacent to the driveway/garage. What might work?

0

I hesitate to recommend a plant that will attach itself to your stucco wall. Plants with little adhesive pads such as ivy will climb up a wall and firmly hold on but if a portion of the plant dies, you'll have a terrible time trying to remove the little pads. And, a thick growing vine can hold too much moisture against the stucco which can cause mold to grow and the stucco to deteriorate. A final problem is that some vines develop aerial roots which can grow into little cracks and crevices and actually crack and split the stucco. If you want to plant a vine, I'd suggest running wires from the ground to the top of the wall for the vine to cling onto, or building a trellis for it to climb on. The wires or the trellis should be at least 12 inches away from the stucco, both to protect it and to provide you easy access behind the plant to do any necessary pruning or to access the side of the house for maintenance or repairs. Some plants to consider growing on wires or a trellis include bougainvillea, climbing rose (Lady Banks), Carolina Jessamine or Glory Bower.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"