gerbera daisies and gladiolu - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I have two questions:I have several gerbera daisies in pots outdoors and have never given them plant food. I bought Miracle Grow but I do not know how much to give each plant nor when is the best time to give it to them. My second question has to do with gladiolus. I read somewhere that it is not a good idea to plant gladiolus bulbs near walls. Is it then a bad idea to plant them in pots?

Plants in pots can be easily over-fertilized which can cause burning so the best approach is to use a water soluable fertilizer, dilute it to half-strength, and feed every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. Water your plants well first, then mix one tablespoon of Miracle Gro or Peter's or Shultz's ferilizer into one gallon of water. Feed your plants by watering with this solution until excess water drains out of the bottom of the pot.

Glads will do fine in pots. The original corms will develop little offset corms over a period of 3-4 years so you'll have tiny new glad plants sprouting next to the original plants. When this happens you'll want to unpot your glads, separate the corms and replant. So if you see single blades of new little plants emerging from the soil this spring you'll know you need to unpot and divide them in the fall.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"