why are the leaves to my palms turning brown - Knowledgebase Question

Rehoboth Beach, De
Question by kathyn6
I recently bought 2 majesty palms and a chinese palm at the Hone depot. All three plants are having trouble and their leaves are turning brown. The light in my home is excellent and the temprerature is around 70, I've been watering them about 2-3 times/week. Help !! I really like the plants and would hate for them to die.
Thanks...Kathy

0

I suspect your plants are simply adjusting to their new environment and the browning will stop as soon as they adjust. Air is usually drier indoors than in a greenhouse (which is where your plants were probably growing before you purchased them). This dry air, coupled with some overwatering is probably the cause of the browning. In the winter palms don't grow much and won't need lots of water. Rather than watering every 2-3 days, you should only be watering every week or two - unless the palms are in exceptionally small pots. Try sticking your finger into the soil prior to watering. If the soil is moist an inch beneath the surface you won't need to water for a few more days. If it is dry, it's time to water. I hope your palms begin to show new growth soon. When they do you can safely trim off the brown fronds. Good luck with your palms.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"