dracaena massangeana - Knowledgebase Question

port angeles, Wa
Question by duckb1
instructions say to water 2 / 3 times a week. in a70 degree house. how much water? one cup per watering?

How much and how often you water depends upon how actively your plant is growing, the average temperature and how large the pot is. I think an easier way is to water the plant thoroughly and then check to see how moist the potting soil remains. You can lift the pot - one that's well watered will feel heavy and one that needs water will be lightweight. Or, you can stick your finger down into the soil. If it is still moist an inch below the surface you won't need to water for a few more days. Eventually you'll get an idea of just how often your plant gets thirsty and you can judge how often to water. My dracaenas need water only about once every 10 days to two weeks during the winter months. Mine are in one gallon pots and are about 2' tall. I think watering 2-3 times a week is excessive unless the plant is large and in a small container. Use your finger to check for soil moisture and you won't go wrong. When your dracaena needs water, apply enough at one time that it freely flows out of the drainage holes. Good luck with your houseplants.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"