Quality of Cucumbers - Knowledgebase Question

Aiea, Ha
Question by lkn_50
I live in Hawaii and I'm trying to grow cucumbers. I've tried many times but I'm getting different types of results. Sometimes the plants and fruits are really

Cucumbers can be grown year round in Hawaii, as they are essentially a warm weather crop. Best growth is obtained when the temperature is 70F or higher. Temperatures below 60 F or above 90 F will slow the growth and will affect the fruits of your plants. Hybrid cucumbers such as Lehua, Gemini-7, Triumph, Challenger, and Burpee produce well in Hawaii. Patio Pik, a variety with compact plant type, can be used for small areas or pot culture in 3-to-5-gallon containers. There is a problem with soil nematodes in Hawaii, and these pests can adversely affect your cucumber plants (or anything else you plant in that particular part of the garden). My suggestion is that you choose one of the above varieties and rotate your planting areas to discourage nematode damage. And, try not to plant during the rainy season. Insect activity is low when it rains and without pollination, fruits won't set or will abort when they are quite small. Hope you plant again and hope you have a bountiful crop! Good luck with your cucumbers.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"