lime for lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Valley, Ca
Question by plants4fun3
I would like to add some lime to my lime to sweeten the soil. What type of lime should I buy?
Also do I use a spreader to spread the lime or do it by hand? Whatever advice you can give me would be quite helpful.

0

Limestone is simple to apply but you will need a spreader for uniform coverage. Use either a drop spreader or a spinner spreader. Uniform coverage is the key because lime essentially stays where it is put. Skipped areas won't receive the lime needed to neutralize acidity. Overlapped areas, where double the recommended amount is applied, will have too high a pH level with the potential for trace element problems. To ensure even coverage, one half of the lime should be applied in one direction, and the remainder applied in a perpendicular (crisscross) pattern.

Applications of less than 50 lbs./1000 sq. ft. will disappear from the surface after one or two rains, while larger amounts will remain visible for a longer period of time. I prefer the pelletized lime = it's not as messy as the granular form and I think it is easier to apply. Apply in amounts as recommended on the package of the product you purchase. Hope this answers all your questions.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "