bamboo - Knowledgebase Question

Kissimmee, Fl
Question by sweetlybe31
I have a large amount of bamboo growing in my backyard. It's beautiful but growing out of control and so difficult to remove. I cut it but it comes back rapidly and spreading to fast. What the best way to remove portions of it and keep it from spreading so fast?

0

Sounds like you have the running type of bamboo rather than the clumping type. It's difficult to control the roots of running bamboo so if possible, contain it by digging a deep trench all around the part of the bamboo you want to keep and lining the trench about (2' deep) with a galvanized metal sheet such as is used for patio roofing, or pouring a 2' deep cement border all around the plant. These are the only effective ways of controlling running bamboo that's planted in the ground. Cutting the bamboo won't stop it from growing or spreading. Instead, you'll need to dig down and remove all the roots. If you leave roots in the ground, new bamboo will sprout from the roots. Another method of controlling the plant is to cut the bamboo at ground level and immediately paint the cut ends with a vegetation killer such as Round Up. This will translocate down to the roots and effectively kill them. Either way, it will be labor intensive to keep your bamboo under control. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"