how to keep birds from eating grass seed? - Knowledgebase Question

simi valley, Ca
Question by simifishing
I live in an LA Calif suburb-hot inland valley. I spread annual ryegrass and it came up great except in some areas where we frequently noticed hoardes of small birds. They seem to congregate in perimeter areas where they can quickly escape to cover. No difference in water or sun in those areas - and covered seed with steer manure everywhere. How do I keep birds away until it sprouts?

There really is no way to keep hungry birds from feasting on your grass seed. I usually broadcast more seed than usual and then cover it with a thin layer of peat moss (or manure), then water it well so the seeds are rinsed down to soil level. Birds still consume some of the seeds but most of them actually germinate. I'm afraid that's the only solution that seems to work reasonably well. You'll want to overseed those bare areas now so the seeds can sprout before the weather gets too hot. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"