replace lawn - Knowledgebase Question

corpus christi, Te
Question by benja123
we are in south texas and have a hilly sloping lawn with mesquite and oak trees in front, southeast facing but partial shade from all the trees. would like to use ground cover instead of grass. what would work?

0

I think you have a great idea! Not only is mowing on a slope difficult, turfgrass just won't thrive in shady conditions. Some groundcovers to consider include Ajuga reptans - durable, reliable; adapts to sun and shade, tolerates dry soil Euonymus fortunei (winter creeper) - sun and shade, growth is trailing and vine-like, will form solid cover. Hedera spp. (various ivies; English ivy is Hedera helix) Liriope (lily turf) - strap-like leaves, sun and shade, looks like coarse, shaggy grass; small flowers in summer. I hope this gives you some ideas!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"