soft water - Knowledgebase Question

Seminole, Te
Question by lenbaccus
i have a soft water system that is connected to the main water line and all watering faucets, can you tell me a good fertilizer to neutralize the salt content

0

Wow! I imagine it can be quite expensive to use chemically softened water for landscape irrigation. Generally an outside faucet is bypassed so you aren't wasting softened water in the landscape. Softeners replace calcium and magnesium with sodium. Long-term irrigation with high-sodium water can cause soil problems by binding up nutrients. And, even though the soil is moist, your plants will require more moisture than usual to quench their thirst. The best way to overcome this salt build up and subsequent burning of the roots or leaves (or grass blades) is to water thoroughly enough to leach out the salts which have built up in the soil. You can achieve this by applying more water than the grass (or landscape plants) needs. This causes leaching, which washes away the salts in the soil, with newer, "fresh" water, even if it is the same salty water you are using all along.

To help increase the downward movement of water, you can poke holes in the lawn, using a power driven aerifier. These machines poke holes 2-3 inches in the ground. You should leave the holes open. The grass will actually fill in the holes.

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"