elephant ears - Knowledgebase Question

azle, Te
Question by alwaysearley
Two yrs. ago I planted the extra large e.ears. That yr. they were 8 ft. tall. last yr. they were half that size. I don't want them to get smaller every yr. so what do I need to do to them in the spring. I live in azle,texas.

Elephant's ears grow from large bulbs and, like all bulbs, need to replenish their stored energy each season. In order to to this, the leaves must be left on the plant until they turn yellow and die. It is possible that the original bulbs died over the winter months and the plants that emerged from the pot were from an offset bulb. The plants won't reach gigantic proportions until the bulbs increase in size. To prevent this in the future, dig and store the bulbs in a frost free place over the winter months. Each year the bulbs will increase in size and each year the plants will get bigger and bigger. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"