Frozen Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Brooksville, Fl
Question by rlaird01
We live in Florida just north of Tampa and we have had several nights of freezing temps this winter. we have azaleas, indian hawthorne around our house and they have turned brown from the frost.
DO I TRIM THEM BACK NOW OR WAIT AND SEE IF THEY GET NEW GROWTH??
HOW FAR SHOULD I TRIM THEM BACK?
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Sue

0

I'm afraid you have a lot of company in the landscape tragedy department this winter! The best advice is to wait until all possibility of frost has passed before pruning your plants. If the roots survived, new growth will appear when the weather warms. When that happens you will be able to tell what is dead and what is alive. It won't hurt your plants to prune off everything that is dead. I'd just wait until the plants provide some clue as to what needs to be pruned, then go ahead and prune as little or as much as required to remove all the dead plant material. I hope the cold weather is over for the year and that your plants will recover!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"