Perennials dead or dying - Knowledgebase Question

tempe, Ar
Question by macscompute
I've had several plants that I purchased a year or 2 years ago and they required sun (full). I planted them on the NE side of the front yawn where they will get the am sun and filtered afternoon sun. Every one of them has died except for the ornamental grasses. They all seem to be growing like weeds.

Any idea what is going on with them?
Would Lavender do well in that location? Thanx.

0

It sounds like you know that when plant labels say full sun, that doesn't apply to growing them in the desert! You were right in placing them in morning sun and protecting them from hot afternoon sunshine. You didn't list the plants in question so I don't know if they can tolerate the intense heat (the dry air can dessicate some plants, even if you provide them with shade). The best bets for your garden are native plants including salvia, penstemon, lantana and cacti. Lavender is more like an annual than a perennial in the Phoenix area. It doesn't overwinter well, but it seems quite happy during the summer months. Home Depot has a special area in their garden department with only native plants. If you choose your plants from that section, they should be just fine. That's where I get my plants and they are all happy and healthy. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"