Pruning Azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by jdonatojr77
I have a few Azaleas that were frozen due to snowing a few months back. The leaves are all brown. Is the plant still alive? Can it be pruned and still grow? Also when should I prune it?

0

Azaleas are generally pruned in late spring after they have finished flowering but you've probably lost the flower buds to the weather so pruning them in early spring to remove the winter damage is is the best approach. I'd wait until the weather warms a bit and you see new growth on your other landscape plants. At that time prune back anything with obvious winter damage. As your azaleas recover and begin to set new growth, it will be obvious what needs to be pruned back. Don't prune too early in the season: pruning encourages new growth and if there's a late frost, all that new growth will die back. So, just be patient with your landscape and wait for signs of spring. Then prune back the dead plant parts. Good luck with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"