St. Augustine Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Cape Coral, Fl
Question by mcubello22
I noticed that my lawn is now full of dollar weeds and other weeds, should I fertilize it with a weed and feed - what do you recommend - I also have several bare spots that I never had before and I had our sprinklers adjusted 2 months ago.

Dollarweed, also called Pennywort, is a small broadleaf plant. The best way to get rid of it is to hand pull it from the root. The problem is that it grows in large patches and it replaces itself quickly so that few find pulling it up a reasonable solution. There are, however, a plethora of avenues of attack to try, including weed-killing chemicals. WipeOut by GreenLight will kill the weeds but not their seeds so multiple applications will be needed. A product called Image is also an option. It?s especially good for use with St. Augustine grass. A third option is Bayer Advanced Weed Killer for Southern Lawns. Be sure to read the product labels - not all are safe to use on St. Augustine. As for the bare spots, rake out the dead lawn and tranplant sprigs or plugs from a healthy part of your lawn. They should cover over the bare areas in a single season. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"