Bat Lilly - Knowledgebase Question

Belmont, Ca
Question by jcfctc
I have a bat Lilly that has wilted. I have put it in the bath room since I was told it need more humidity. This has not helped. It is kept inside in low light for the winter. Any ideas. Thanks Judith

0

Tacca chantrieri is the latin name of the black bat flower which is also known as bat faced flower, cat whiskers, black tacca, devil flower and bat head lily. It likes bright light, cool temperatures in the winter; warm temperatures in the spring and summer, and ample humidity. It also likes moist potting soil but too much water during the winter months can cause the wilting you describe. These plants are susceptible to root rot if the soil remains too wet in the winter. I'd be inclined to repot the plant in fresh potting soil. When you have it out of the pot you can prune off any mushy or dead roots. Set the plant at the same soil level as it was growing before, water it thoroughly, and then allow the top of the soil to dry out between waterings. I hope this rescue effort is successful! Good luck with your bat lily.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"