how to take care of orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Cooper city, Fl
Question by exofaranger0
Hello, i was recently given, a beautiful Dendrobium and a Phalaenopsis, i have yet to learn how to take care of them, is it true that prunning them, will help her grow out more gorgeous flowers, please help me, as i went crazy and went to my nearest homedepot store and bought me 4 more gorgeous orchids, now i have 2 Phalaenopsis, and 4 Dendrobium.
thanks. Thania.

Oh my goodness! Six beautiful orchids. What a wonderful collection! Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants. There are many, many kinds, each with slightly different growing requirements, but dendrobiums are the easiest of all to care for and phalaenopsis are the second easiest. Both types like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Supplement with artificial light in the wintertime if necessary. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Next time yours flowers and the flower is spent, cut the stem off just below where the old flower was. It should develop another flower. When that one is spent, cut the entire flowering stem down to foliage level. Orchids flower best when they are pot-bound so don't be in a hurry to repot. Usually every 3-4 years they're ready to be repotted. Pruning isn't necessary. In fact, pruning your orchids will keep them from flowering so just allow them to grow at will. Most importantly, enjoy your orchids!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"