Dog poop on lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Jennifer Stark
Olympia, Wa
Question by je_ruth
My husband at times does not clean up our dog's poop in the backyard for a couple of weeks. When he does get to it, the grass under the poop has died along with a small area around it. Is there something I can do to the grass to make it grow in quickly? Also, when should I start fertilizing my lawn and what should I use?

0

The reason the lawn is dying under the poop is that the sunshine is being blocked. Couple that with the excess nitrogen contained in the feces and you have burned lawn where the sunlight reaches (around the perimeter of the poop) and dead grass beneath it because of the lack of sunlight. About the only way to avoid this is to be diligent in cleaning up the feces. You can begin fertilizing your lawn in April. Use a fertilizer with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK, such as a 21-7-14. I usually wait until fertilizer goes on sale (which is almost always does during the time that it should be applied). Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"