Asparagus - Knowledgebase Question

cuyahoga falls, Oh
Question by mgilletly
I will be planting Aspargus for the first time this year. The plants are three years old, will I beable to harvest this year? Also does it tolerate the heat well or does it need filtered sunlight?

0

Asparagus will grow in full sunshine and you can harvest some of the spears the first season from your three year old crowns. Don't harvest them all, though. The spears will develop into ferny foliage which will help the crowns develop extensive root systems. Cut spears when they grow about 6 to 8 inches tall; their tips should still be tight. Take only thicker spears; spindly ones should be left alone. Snap asparagus off at the soil line, or use a sharp knife to slice through the spear at an angle an inch or two below the soil surface. Be careful not to damage spears not yet emerged from the soil.

Enjoy your asparagus.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"