SQUIRRELS - Knowledgebase Question

BROOKLYN, Ne
Question by CHRIS418SHAU
I HAVE A SEVERE PROBLEM WITH SQUIRRELS. NO MATTER WHAT I PLANT IN MY YARD THEY DIG IT UP. EVEN THE MULCH THAT I PUT DOWN I FIND SCATTERED ALL OVER MY STREET. SOMEONE SUGGESTED THAT I USE BLOODMEAL I CANNOT FIND IT IN MY HOME DEPOT (MILL BASIN STORE)HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE BLOODMEAL AND IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE.
THANK YOU

0

Bloodmeal isn't a very effective deterrent, nor are predator urines which are sometimes sold to scare critters away. Squirrels are very, very intelligent, thoughm so these scents don't often deter them. Anyone who has seen them engineer their way past a squirrel proof birdfeeder will attest to the fact that they are intelligent. Here are a few deterrents you can try; unfortunately, there's no sure-fire way to eliminate squirrels from your garden. Try sprinkling the plants with cayenne pepper, cayenne pepper spray, or sprinkling red pepper flakes around the soil. (You can purchase these inexpensively in bulk at many natural food stores.) Garlic and garlic sprays have also shown some efficacy. Since squirrels' natural predators include snakes, owls and hawks, look for inflatable or concrete versionsof these predators at your local garden center. Placed conspicuously around your garden, they just might scare the squirrels away--at least for a while. Spreading lime around the base of your plants may deter them for a while (and it's good for the soil.) Sometimes a pet dog or cat can act as a deterent to squirrels. Wish I had more to share. Good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"