Citrus pest - Knowledgebase Question

Question by tmcurren
Hello, my citrus trees have these pest that travel within the leaves and makes them deformed. I can't get rid of them. All the new leaves look horrible. What can I do to get rid of them?

What you describe sounds like leaf miner damage. The adult is a small white moth. She lays an egg by piercing the leaf tissue. The egg hatches into a little caterpillar who feeds on the tissues between the upper and lower leaf surfaces, leaving little tunnels or zig zag patterns in the leaves. These tunnels turn white. When it has finished feeding it exits the leaf and pupates, turning into an adult to start the process all over again. Leaf miners are difficult to control because they are protected inside the leaf. However, Green Light Spinosad is labeled for use on citrus to control citrus leafminer so you might give it a try. Be sure to follow label directions. Good luck with your citrus trees!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"