INDOOR PLANTS - Knowledgebase Question

ELYRIA, Oh
Question by TULU52
MY FERNS FROM THE SUMMER ARE DYING AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR THEM I KEEP THEM WATERED , BUT MY HOUSE DOES NOT HAVE A LOT OF LIGHT COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE TO SAVE THEM BECAUSE I REALLY DO LOVE FERN . THEIR DEAD ON ONE SIDE BUT THEY ARE STILL HANGING IN THERIR WILL IS THEIR ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO HELP THEM OR SHOULD I JUST CALL IT A RAP?

0

You didn't name the ferns so I'm only guessing, but some landscape ferns actually go dormant during the winter months and others remain evergreen. Even though you've taken the ferns indoors to protect them from frosty weather, they may be the type that needs a rest during the winter months. If this is what you have, it's okay for the fronds to die down. After the roots have rested for a few weeks, new growth will emerge. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. If the foliage does die completely, just leave the ferns where they are and water only enough to keep the soil from completely drying out. In the spring begin watering regularly and I'll bet they sprout new leaves. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"