diseased fruit - Knowledgebase Question

Cincinnati, Oh
Question by mreese729
Hello,my vegetable garden has returned very little fruit in the past five years.It also has diseased tomatoes, do you have a probable cause? Thank You

The problem might be associated with poor soil or lack of sunlight. I'd give it one more chance. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Be sure your garden gets at least 8 hours of direct sunshine each day. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"