Should I use lime - Knowledgebase Question

Maricopa, Ar
Question by hosleyd8c
I put bark chips sold at your store as mulch around my oranges, the trees aren't lookling so good. I am getting ready to fertilize. I am thinking I should rake off the bark for it probably was acidic, should I add lime with the fertilizer? Can you eat the pepper seeds off CA pepper tree or Braizilian pepper?

I don't think the bark is affecting your citrus trees. Soil in the Phoenix area is quite alkaline so the acidic properties from the bark chips should actually help the soil. I suspect that your citrus trees need a little iron, not lime. I apply Ironite 2-3 times a year to help my citrus trees remain green and happy. Use in amounts as listed on the label which are calculated according to the size and age of your tree.

The seeds from a Brazilian pepper tree are not considered edible, although some people use them. The seeds can cause stomach upset and other problems so I'd recommend leaving them alone!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"