WEEDS - Knowledgebase Question

OZONE PARK, Ne
Question by grneys27
IS IT SAFE FOR ME TO SPREAD WEED KILLER WHERE MY PLANTS ARE AND MY FLOWERING BULBS I HAVE TO CLEAN THE YARD THIS YEAR IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE RID OF WEEDS BEFORE I CAN PLANT ANY NEW PLANTS OF VEGETABLES OR BULBS THIS IS MY PROJECT FOR THIS YEAR.

0

Not all weed killers are created equal so there's no easy answer to your question. Some will kill everything in their path and others are safe to use near perennial beds but not bulb or not vegetable gardens. The best approach is to hand pull the weeds, then cover over the bare earth with weed blocking fabric or several inches of organic mulch to keep new weeds from sprouting. If you're not up to handpulling the weeds you can suffocate them by placing several layers of newspaper or cardboard over the weedy beds. This should starve the plants of sunlight and kill them off. If you decide to use a weed killer, carefully read the label to make sure it is safe to use near bulbs and in vegetable beds. Good luck with your weeding project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"