Should I trim it? - Knowledgebase Question

Chandler, Ar
Question by judithcarlso
I bought a Fan-Tex Ash tree last year. It is about 10 ft tall. It appears that one of the branches was smashed flat, but it is still alive and beginning to bud.(this tip looks just like a fan in shape) Should I cut this end off or let it go? It is very healthy in every other manner.
Thank you kindly, Judith

0

What you describe sounds like bud proliferation, a condition of unknown cause but quite common in some landscape plants. The flattened branches are sometimes curled and are quite popular in the florist's trade because they make very attractive fillers in dried flower arrangements. I would prune off the affected branch now while the tree is young. If you leave it on it will never grow to the right proportions for the tree and it will simply take up space. Prune it off and use it for a decoration. The tree should replace the branch with a healthy one.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"