Side Yard mess - Knowledgebase Question

Coppell, Te
Question by leachruth
The west side yard has two trees shading it, plus my neighbors 8 ft fence. All the grass has died and it is a mud pit. What can I do with it?

As you have discovered, turfgrass simply won't thrive in the shade so the next best option is a groundcover. Here are some shade-loving groundcovers that are worth investigating:

Pachysandra Green Sheen: This is the most reliable cold-season groundcover for shaded areas and is ideal for planting under the canopies of established trees where little else grows. It?s also good for planting by on the north side of wall or on north-facing slopes.

Variegated Japanese Pachysandra is an alternative (or addition) to the Green Sheen. The variegated Japanese thrives even in the dense shade of evergreens. It is low-growing and compact, retaining its beauty with white tinged leaves.

Dicentra Candy Hearts is a relatively new Bleeding Heart variety that produces masses of pendulous bright pink candy-like flowers. I would recommend that Candy Hearts be planted where they?ll get some partial sun for part of the day but they are shade-tolerant.

Ajuga Reptans Burgundy Glow is a creeping, mat-forming evergreen perennial that does well in shady area. It spreads rapidly to a width of 24 to 36 inches and a height of only six inches. The cream and maroon variegated leaves make a pleasant contrast in any garden.

Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"