dog pee - Knowledgebase Question

tigard, Or
Question by chris_martin
dog pee is killing my grass..... is there anything I can add to his water to neutralize this?

You can fix the dead spots, but it's difficult to avoid having dead spots due to pet urine. The salts in urine kill off the grass so you'll need to flood the spots to leach out the salts, then rake out the dead grass and over-seed with new grass seed. The seed should germinate in 7-10 days. As for keeping new dead areas from forming, about the only course of action is to hose the area off as soon as your pet urinates. This will dilute the urine and keep it from killing the grass. Some pet stores sell dietary supplements that are supposed to neutralize the urine. You might check into those. Wish I had a better solution for you!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"