cedar tree and snow - Knowledgebase Question

Luray, Vi
Question by elisa_kunz
During this big snowstorm, our cedar tree literally broke in half, with the top falling into the yard. Can I save it? If not, what can I do to help the soil recover?

It is possible that your cedar tree will recover, but it will never look as good as it did before the snow storm. When the top of a tree is broken or pruned off (called topping), usually the first largest branch closest to the top becomes the new central leader. It simply begins to grow upward all on its own. The problem is that the trunk will forever have a curve or bend where the damage took place. If you love the tree, just leave it alone and let it recover. If it's an eyesore, you can cut it down. It's likely that the roots will send up one or several suckers. Choose the largest, best placed sucker to become your new tree and prune all the rest away. Good luck with your cedar tree!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"