compost bins - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Joy Rainford
Upper Marlboro, MD
Avatar for rainfords
Question by rainfords
August 26, 1998
I just ordered a compost bin from the Burpee catalog. It's black and has four drawers. The person I spoke to couldn't answer any specific questions for me and the warehouse just went into inventory so it will be two - three weeks before it is shipped.

My question is this, is there a spigot or tray to collect the run-off or excess water for use in a vegetable bed? I have been reading up as much as possible on composting and I'm under the impression that this so called "tea" is good for plants.

If the bin from Burpee does not allow this could you tell me if I should get a bin that does and if yes where can I get one?

Answer from NGA
August 26, 1998
Usually, compost tea is just made by soaking some compost in a bucket of water for a week or two and then straining it, so basically you don't need any special equipment to make compost tea. But if you are thinking of trays, you might be thinking of the trays some of the vermiculture bins include. These are the bins for housing worms to make compost and they do usually have a way to collect excess moisture which is in fact also excellent for plants. Composting is fun -- enjoy your new bin!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Visual_Botanics and is called "Hidden Bird Bath"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.