What can I plant for a quick, non-invasive pool screen? - Knowledgebase Question

Ponte Vedra, Fl
Question by edith_russo
I am from the Northern VA/MD area recently retired to Ponte Vedra. Your season seems to start 4 months earlier than I am used to. What would you recommend for a screen on one side of our pool. It needs to not grow too wide, have too many spreading roots as the space is next to the septic tank drainage field. I don't want growth down on the ground for critters to hide in. How about crepe myrtl

There are a few shrubs you might consider growing. Nandina (heavenly bamboo) is not a bamboo at all but the stems resemble canes and the foliage is similar. It is evergreen, can be trimmed to maintain a tall, narrow growth habit, and is reasonably litter-free. Rhamnus frangula Fine Line is a lovely deciduous shrub that only gets 2 ft. wide and 6 ft tall. Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond's Pillar' works as a narrow deciduous shrub, as well. As you visit nurseries and garden centers this spring you may find other potential candidates for your pool area. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"