Crabgrass - Knowledgebase Question

Seattle, Wa
Question by bobbie363
How can I get rid of crabgrass in my lawn?

0

There's a product called Bonide Weed Beater Plus that should control the crabgrass, depending upon the type of turfgrass you are growing. Read the label to make sure it is safe for your particular lawn. If not, hand weeding is the best option this time of year. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they last only about 30 days. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedling. Usually late March or early April are good times to apply pre-emergence control. A second application might have to be made to keep your lawn a little more crabgrass free. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"