boston fern - Knowledgebase Question

ELYRIA, Oh
Question by TULU52
my plants were brougt in from the sumer and I noticed that they are shedding and turning brown and I have a lot of stem lost should I just continue to water them will they come back in the spring and would it be good to repot them?

0

Boston ferns do tend to lose their oldest fronds, but as long as new fronds are emerging from the center of the plant, there's probably nothing to worry about. The lower light levels in your home, plus dry indoor air from heaters can affect the foliage, too. You can try misting your plant on a daily basis to increase humidity. I'd prune off all the dead and ragged looking fronds, mist the plant every morning, water when the top of the soil feels dry, and try to give your fern bright light but no direct sunshine. It should perk up when you change its growing conditions. It won't grow much until it recovers from its stress but you should see new growth in a few weeks. Good luck with your fern!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"