A mixture of grass - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by picturelady6
I have a mixture of grass growing in my yard. I have a 1 yr. old D.R. Horton home and Horton planted a mixture of winter grass and Bermuda. In the winter months our yard looks horrible because only the winter grass spots are growing. In the summer I have a lot of bare spots. What can I do to encourage the Bermuda to take the lead and kill off the winter grass?

It's actually a common practice to overseed warm season bermuda grass with cool season annual rye. When the weather cools the bermuda goes dormant but the rye begins growing. When the weather warms, the bermuda comes out of dormancy just when the rye grass retreats. The only problem is that your bermuda needs to be overseeded every October with ryegrass. For right now, you only need to wait for warm weather. The bermuda will start to green up and when that happens you can rake the bare spots and overseed with bermuda grass seed or take plugs from the healthy parts of your lawn and plant them in the bare areas. When the new grass takes root you can feed, water and mow on a regular schedule. In September or October, mow your bermuda really low and overseed with ryegrass. Next winter the lawn will be green and next summer your bermuda will be thick and healthy. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"